Saturday, December 4, 2010

Grant Update

I got my second grant denial yesterday. Two down, two to go, but I'm not feeling hopeful.

When I applied for all of them, I told myself if I didn't get them that it meant another family needed the money more than I did. It's hard to think that way when I received a form letter in my email:

Thank you for applying for a grant from XXXXX.


Unfortunately, we are not able to grant your request. We received an overwhelming response to our call for applications and had a limited amount of funds to disperse.


Though we understand that it is no consolation for the disappointment you much feel at receiving this news, please know that we are actively working to increase the amount of funds we can grant in the future. Our commitment to helping families grow through adoption only becomes stronger with each letter like this that we must send.


We sincerely wish you all the best as you continue your adoption journey.


Oh well....on to the next thing, I suppose. It did make me feel better to read on their website that they gave grants to a two single mothers as well as a same-sex couple. At least I know (like I suspect with the first grant I didn't get) that my singleness didn't play into it.

1 comment:

  1. Bummer. I was reading the beginning of your post, and immediately I was going to ask if single people were awarded grants. I only knew of one grant that single women were getting, but after reading it, I didn't even consider applying. Good luck with the final two.

    The one agency, that I mentioned in an email a long time ago, gives quite a few to single women. However, they don't give until referral, and honestly it looks like it is mostly based on ses. The thing is they also ask which of several ideas you tried prior to applying.. things like loans, etc....

    ReplyDelete