Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Years Resolutions

For physical health reasons, I am so glad to see the Christmas season be over. I have no willpower. I can admit that. We had treats at work from our vendors. I sampled every single one. Chocolate-covered potato chips, cookies, truffles, gummies, more cookies, more chocolate.

We had a never-ending dish of chocolate and m&m's outside of my office. I ate chocolate for breakfast every morning. Peppermint patties, miniature peanut butter cups, and my favorite, complete with rationalization -- Hershey Krackel because it's made with Rice Krispies so it's like breakfast.

And between having things to make, things to wrap, baking to finish, traveling to Richmond and DC for a weekend, I made it to the gym a total of four times in the month. For me, that's insane. I make my 4th visit in a week on Thursday night, sometimes Wednesday.

Christmas was Sunday, and Monday morning, I was at Wegmans bright and early with a huge shopping list of healthy things. I made my favorite Hungry Girl chicken pot-pie for lunches and put them in the freezer. I pulled out my WW book and started tracking again. And I went to the gym.

It's amazing how easy it is to get back into good habits, even though the past two months have been one bad habit after another. But it really is easy. The Mariah Carey-Janet Jackson-Jennifer Hudson-Charles Barkley commercials playing on a continual loop have also helped. (Do you just love the Jennifer Hudson one? I can't look away whenever it comes on!)



It seems everyone is ready to be in that healthy mindset, and while not everyone will stick with it, by that time, I will be back in my zone.

I still have about 20 baby pounds to lose and I would really like to have them gone by my birthday in April. So....that's new year's resolution #1.

New year's resolution #2 -- 5K training begins soon. I'm getting my "sea" legs under me again at the gym, interval running and hill training. But come mid-January when the students are back and my gym re-opens on campus, running begins again in earnest. I got my email from the Brain Cancer folks last week. Save the date -- May 6 in DC. And this year, I am running the entire 3.1 miles.

And of course, the most important, new year's resolution, that one that goes without saying, that goes without being numbered, it's just there. I'm doing all I can. I'm staying positive (mostly). It's going to happen.

And so, as I move toward the un-named, un-numbered NYR, I will be moving towards being an even healthier mom-to-be. And while I won't wear it in public, I will wear to bed, with pride, the t-shirt a dear friend bought me. That'll be me for the next few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment