Thursday, January 6, 2011

Precious Moments, International Style

At some point when I lived in Rochester (during my 20s), my craft of choice was counted cross stitch. I bought a Precious Moments ABC pattern book, thinking that of course I would be married and have kids at some point in the next decade. I put it away to make while I was pregnant.

Towards the end of my 20s, I put Rochester in my rear view mirror and headed to Baltimore. Five years later, I headed back to central New York. The ABC pattern book, long forgotten, but packed with every move.

A year or so ago, I was cleaning out my craft box. No longer into counted cross stitch, I gave the book to my mother.

Last summer, she asked me if I wanted her to make it for the baby. I said, "yes, but.....you know all the children can't be Caucasian."

She looked at me for a second, and then realized, "oh of course."

And so I went to Michael's and looked at some pattern books with people of color, gave her the thread numbers. I got a weekly update of which letter she was up to. And then, Christmas morning, I opened up the blanket (she had given it to my brother when he was up at Thanksgiving).

The finished product....the United Nations of Precious Moments:

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks amazing! I remember we talked about it, but I can't believe how cute it is too. She worked fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! Is the edging furry? :)
    -- Heather

    ReplyDelete